Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Love. . . The Continuation. . .

This is my third posting. I have posted 10 poems and am going to post five more. I have noticed my jumping around in my theme of love. I find there is romantic love poems and poems that speak of a different kind of love. . .a love of life. Lastly, there is spiritual love or love of a higher power. All of these poems are relevant to my theme and even though the order in which I have put my poems might seem random, I feel mixing different "styles" and time era's makes for an interesting read and a provides for a unique emotional experience.

I find that in this project all the poems that have spoken to me have almost asked me to put them on this blog. Poetry has a way of of reminding us that it is okay to feel and express whatever is on our mind and for that I am proud to have posted them.

I am posting five new poems:

_____________________________________________


1) "Somewhere I have never Traveled"

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will enclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully, mysteriously) her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully, suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility: whose texture
compels me with the colour of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens; only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands

By E. E. Cummings
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15401

_____________________________________________


2) "Conceit"

It is conceit that kills us
and makes us cowards instead of gods.

Under the great Command: Know thy self, and that thou art mortal!
we have become fatally self-conscious, fatally self-important, fatally entangled in the cocoon coils of our conceit.

Now we have to admit we can't know ourselves, we can only know about ourselves.
And I am not interested to know about myself any more,
I only entangle myself in the knowing.

Now let me be myself,
now let me be myself, and flicker forth,
now let me be myself, in the being, one of the gods.

By D H Lawrence
http://judithpordon.tripod.com/poetry/d_h_lawrence_conceit.html

_____________________________________________

3) "Life"

By one great Heart the Universe is stirred:
By Its strong pulse, stars climb the darkening blue;
It throbs in each fresh sunsets changing hue,
And thrills through low sweet song of every bird:

By It, the plunging blood reds all mens veins;
Joy feels that heart against his rapturous own,
And on It, Sorrow breathes her sharpest groan;
It bounds through gladnesses and deepest pains.

Passionless beating through all Time and Space,
Relentless, calm, majestic in Its march,
Alike, though Nature shake heaven's endless arch,
Or mans heart break, because of some dead face!

Tis felt in sunshine greening the oft sod,
In children's smiling, as in mothers tears;
And, for strange comfort, through the aching years,
Men's hungry souls have named that great Heart, God!

By
Margaret Deland
http://www.poetry-archive.com/d/deland_margaret.html

_____________________________________________


4) "When you are Old"

When you are old and gray and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true;
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face.

And bending down beside the glowing bars
Murmur, a little sadly, how love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead
And his his face amid a crowd of stars.

By
W. B. Yeats
http://www.bbc.co.uk/poetryseason/poems/when_you_are_old.shtml

_____________________________________________


5) "Love is Enough"

Love is enough: though the world be a-waning,
And the woods have no voice but the voice of complaining,
Though the skies be too dark for dim eyes to discover
The gold-cups and daisies fair blooming thereunder,
Though the hills be held shadows, and the sea a dark wonder,
And this day draw a veil over all deeds passed over,
Yet their hands shall not tremble, their feet shall not falter:
The void shall not weary, the fear shall not alter
These lips and these eyes of the loved and the lover.

By William Morris
http://www.links2love.com/poetry_78.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment